Thursday, August 7, 2014

Last Day In Rome

Today is my last day in la città eterna.  I'm full of so many mixed feelings.  On the one hand I miss my family and I'm excited for the fall semester, but on the other I really don't want to have to say goodbye to Rome.  I've spent six weeks getting to know this city, but it doesn't feel like enough time.

I've spent the last few days finishing off my Rome bucket list.  I saw the Ara Pacis Augustae on Tuesday with my classics class.  It was amazing to once again see in person something I have learned about in class.  The detail on the outside is incredible, and I was even able to spot some of the smaller details in the vine patterns on the sides.  Through the windows of the museum I was able to see the Mausoleum of Augustus, who is the emperor I know the most about.

Mostly I have been trying to take pictures documenting the places I spent the most time.  I took pictures of the classroom building, as well as around my apartment.  I've tried not to think about how every day I do or see something for the last time, but the reality is it may be the last time I do many things here in Rome.  I bought my last panino from the sandwich shop across from school today, and I have my last dinner in a little bit.  I saw the Pantheon for the last time yesterday and did the last bit of souvenir shopping (not really a sad event, but still).  I took my last exams and had my last Italian class ever.  I still need to eat my last gelato and say my last goodbyes to some friends who I won't get to see after this summer.

I finished packing my bags and now I need to start cleaning up the apartment.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here in Italy.  I have made so many memories and gone on more adventures than I have been able to post about.  Tomorrow I have an extra long day of travel, but by this time tomorrow  (Rome time) I will be back in the U.S.  A big thank-you for reading about all of my adventures here in Italy.  I've enjoyed typing up my stories and sharing my pictures with you.

I may be leaving tomorrow, but I know that I will come back to Rome someday.  Until then I have plenty of pictures and memories to hold on to.

Allison Kane

No comments:

Post a Comment